Welcome to The New Knew!
I’m Lisa Fennessy, founder of TNK. Born and raised in Boston, MA, I’m a city girl at heart currently living in Atlanta since 2017. I am passionate about access to healthy food, water, beauty, consumer goods and more. I want nontoxic to be the norm and this drives my passion daily.
My Journey to TNK
I wasn’t always an organic living-clean beauty advocate. After my son Quinn was born with eczema, the docs prescribed him a steroid cream that ended up discoloring his skin. We soon realized his symptoms were being treated but not the root cause. We played around with some holistic remedies but when we decided to remove dairy from his diet, his skin cleared up in two weeks and our world changed.
Around the same time, I was experiencing IBS. I got all the tests and the docs were calling it “microscopic colitis.” They were basically saying my intestines were inflamed. Again, identifying the symptom but not getting to the root. I eventually realized I needed more testing and when I saw a functional medicine practitioner, they diagnosed me with Celiac. That was the last day I intentionally ate gluten (I miss real pizza!).
Both of these experiences taught me that no one is going to come and hand us a solution. If we want health, we need to seek it out. If we want access to clean food, we need to support non-GMO, organic and biodynamic growing practices. If we want clean beauty and personal care, we need to do the work and find out what that really means to us.
And that’s where The New Knew (me and my team!) comes in. With a BA in Journalism from Northeastern University, I explore the latest and greatest in better beauty as well as THE WHY. This has been my full time job for the past three years and I LOVE IT. What I’ve learned is there is typically no “perfect” solution. But there are certainly a ton of great options.
And what’s perfect for one person may not be perfect for another. But, as a team, we are committed to continuing the better beauty and organic lifestyle conversation in hopes of empowering every woman to feel confident about what we are consuming.
Where to Start
Ready to dive in? Here’s where to start.
- My IT LIST
- How to Go Gray: Before & After Photos
- Kinda Obsessed—Facial Tools
- Organic Beauty On a Budget: 50+ Affordable Brands
- My All-Time Favorite All-Purpose Cleaner (I Use It On My Whole House!)
- Top Ten Clean Beauty Products At Target
- Nontoxic Makeup on a Budget: You Can Have It All
- Make Sure Your Wine Is Natural—Here’s How
- The Best All-Natural Purple Shampoo for Gray Hair
- Clean Beauty Subscription Round-Up
- A Look at Retinol in Organic Skincare
- The Most Affordable (and comfy) Organic Mattress
The bottom line? There is something better for everyone. We just need to know what to look for and how to shop.
Right now, conventional, mainstream and big box brands formulate fast and cheap and with little to no regard for our health or the health of the planet. It’s what makes cash registers ring and it’s what lines pockets. BUT we can change that.
When we educate ourselves. When we stand up and make a choice about what we allow in our homes and on our bodies. When we create a demand for clean, organic and nontoxic….guess what? Clean, organic, nontoxic and better becomes the new norm.
It’s you and me, girl. We’ve got this.
As Seen In….
#1 The Water Break
The Water Break with Cara Kneer via 11Alive, Atlanta, GA’s leading local news station. Speaking on the four things we can do to reduce our daily toxic load.
#2 True Roots
Quoted and referenced in True Roots by Ronnie Citron-Fink. Here is an excerpt:
Lisa contacted 10 “natural” hair color companies to ask for their ingredient lists. She identified PPD, coal tar and SLS or derivatives of these chemicals as toxic culprits in many of the organic hair dyes. (Read the full post here).
The one point that I really want to drive home here is when a hair dye is labeled “organic” or claims to be “natural” don’t be fooled into thinking you are getting a healthy alternative. Lisa said she was hard pressed to find a truly chemical-free dye that both covered will and looked good. She concluded that her two healthiest options were henna and Hairprint.
#3 Beauty Independent
“I love keeping it light and fun, but I’m honest, and I’m not afraid to ask the big questions, which I think people value.“
“Fennessy thinks interest in going gray is rising, although it’s far from universal. She says, “I can totally feel this movement rumbling, but it’s not loud yet.”
“I’ve been focusing on tasks that move the needle in the short term and pressing pause on side projects like SEO, list building, keyword research, brand outreach and networking. I’ve been playing with hosting exclusive events, offers, experiences and gifts for my readers. It’s creating some new opportunities, and it’s been really exciting.”
#4 WELL + GOOD
“Society taught me to cover up and keep up instead of embracing the aging process.”
#5 Parade Magazine
After taking a trip to the Hairprint Salon in Sausalito, CA: “It looked beautiful and exactly like hair dye. I couldn’t see any gray hairs, and I left knowing I could do it.”
#6 WELL INSIDERS
“Body shaming applies to hair, too, you know. I didn’t realize it at the time, but before I stopped dyeing my hair, I was consumed with thoughts about my roots to the point where it would affect my behavior.“
#7 Voyage ATL
“I have two main messages. I want nontoxic living to be fun and engaging. I think a lot of people equate the word “healthy” with “boring”. Well, yeah it is boring if you think “healthy” equals an iceberg salad with no dressing and a side of 5am treadmill.”
Live Simply Podcast
Navigating Nontoxic Skincare with The New Knew. This episode was the most downloaded episode of the Live Simply Podcast for season 2.
Wheatgrass and Champagne
The Golden Hour
Health Is Wealth
Around the web
- Named one of New Hope’s Top 100 Responsible Health & Wellness Influencers of 2020
- Named one of nine organic beauty blogs to green your beauty routine by The Good Trade.
- Coming Clean with Lisa Fennessy of The New Knew at Maya Chia.
- How to go green with your products at The Green Beauty Scene.
- Dishing on my clean beauty staples with Clove + Hallow.
- Sharing My Morning Routine with Well Insiders plus 5 Wellness Products I Can’t Live Without.
- Talking about how I clear my mind over at OSMIA.
- 2019 ShiftCon Shifter Awards runner-up for Best Green Beauty Blog.
- 2018 ShiftCon Shifter Awards runner-up for Best Original Photography.
- Melissa from Natural Health Resources and I Youtube about How To Live A Toxin Free Lifestyle Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.
- Lunchtime! Packing Healthy School Lunches over at Maison Pur.
Speaking Engagements + Events
- How To Work With Influencers And Have Influencers Work For You – Southeastern Bath & Body Conference, Atlanta, 2020
- ShiftCon Panelist on True Beauty, Atlanta 2019
- Aging Beautifully with Dr. Sarah Villafranco + The New Knew at Aillea, Atlanta, 2019
- Glow Summit 2.0 Speaker on Going Gray
- Discussion Leader at The Influencer Summit for Natural Products Expo East, Baltimore 2018 + 2019
- 5 Things You Can Do TODAY To Lessen Your Everyday Toxic Load and Optimize Production with WELL BUSINESSED, Atlanta, 2018
- 5 Things You Can Do To Start Living Healthier NOW with Corrective Chiropractic, Atlanta, 2018
Ambassadorships + Testimonials
Beauty Heroes Ambassador 2016 – Present
Lisa speaks in an authentic voice to the modern woman who wants to know the real deal. I appreciate her level of professionalism, attention to detail and diligence and really enjoy our working relationship and personal connection.Jeannie Jarnot, Beauty Heroes Founder
True Botanicals 2016 – Present
The New Knew is one of our go-to authorities on all things non-toxic beauty and green living.True Botanicals
Clean Beauty Box Ambassador 2018 – Present
I’ve been following Lisa’s clean living journey long before we began working together. She’s a wealth of knowledge, gets into the nitty gritty and always keeps it relatable. The New Knew is one of my top recommended resources for those interested in clean living – she covers it all from beauty, to food, to home. If Lisa recommends it, I trust it.Claire Molyneaux, founder of Clean Beauty Box
The Detox Market Box Ambassador 2018 – Present
Boxwalla Box Ambassador 2017 – Present
For press and media kit inquiries email [email protected]