The New Knew is expanding and we’re looking to add an Editorial Assistant to our rockstar team.
This position’s primary focus is to create an organized and supportive environment for our team and our business as a whole.
This is a part-time position, starting at around 10 hours per week, with the possibility to rapidly expand, if we find the right fit. You’ll report to our Content Manager, but will work regularly with Lisa, the CEO of TNK. This position might occasionally involve working on evenings and weekends, and at times, responding outside of traditional work hours.
Priority will be given to candidates who…
- Have experience with Yoast SEO, ActiveCampaign, Google Suite (mail, docs, drive), Voxer, WordPress, Facebook, Pinterest, Tailwind and Canva. We don’t need you to be an expert already, but we do need you to have a basic understanding of how online marketing and blogging works, including the back-end of websites, SEO research, social media management and analytics. (If any of those phrases are brand new to you, this likely is not the perfect position for you.)
- Already use Apple products; Mac and iPhone is preferred.
- Love learning new ways to make things work better.
- Are a reader/follower of The New Knew and are familiar with our mission of organic living and heart-centered entrepreneurship.
- Are technically skilled and have experience working with WordPress, rich snippets, atl text, meta descriptions, key word research, SEO strategy, community management, Facebook and Pinterest…
- Can take systems, processes and organization to the next level.
- Are inquisitive, organized, thoughtful and eager to learn.
We are not right for each other if…
- You don’t prioritize self-care, movement, nature, healthy food, relationships, mindfulness and spirituality into your life.
- The last time you read a non-fiction book or listened to a podcast about business, wellness, or personal development was…well, you can’t even remember. Maybe never? This position requires a genuine interest in what we are all about and having a pulse on what’s happening in those worlds.
- You’re looking for a “side job” while you build your own business. This position will eventually grow and we want us to invest in each other equally.
- You’re not an implementer—you prefer to come up with big ideas and have someone else execute them.
- You have a lot going on already and don’t have the time and focus to really dedicate 10 hours a week to this job.
- You’re a Type B, passive personality type. At TNK, we make things happen; we don’t wait for things to happen to us.
- You prefer to be front-facing in the business. This is a behind-the-scenes job and you need to be comfortable without public recognition.
- You often find yourself thinking, “That’s not my job.” This role requires you always jump in to help, no matter what.
- You’re not willing to sign a non-disclosure agreement.
Our Editorial Assistant will be responsible for ongoing support for our business and our team. You will:
- Upload written blogs to WordPress and take the lead on SEO and keyword research for blog content, including implementing in the WordPress backend with affiliate links.
- Create graphics in Canva, for the blog, sales pages, social media, Pinterest, etc.
- Create Pins and designed blog images using Canva, with guidance on TNK’s branding, and optimize pins for impact.
- Schedule Pinterest pins to tribes, group boards and Smart Loop on Tailwind.
- Support community management for the TNK FB pages (TNK and The Gray Book), YouTube and Instagram.
- Respond to reader and customer emails, taking ownership of customer (and prospective customer) issues and follow problems through to resolution with the intention of increasing conversions, satisfaction, loyalty, and retention.
- Keep affiliate repository updated, including log in info and commission rates.
- Create landing pages and opt-in boxes for our freebies to grow our email list.
- Update old blog posts for republishing using our template.
- Update affiliate links with Prettylink on an as-needed basis.
- Add rating reviews/comments to every new blog and respond to all outstanding blog comments.
- Help strategize and research for weekly emails.
Skills and Abilities
- Organized to a fault with uncanny attention to detail and eagle eyes that would make the grammar police jealous.
- An understanding of branding guidelines, from design palettes to best practices for simple layouts.
- A natural go-getter who is self-motivated and resourceful; you don’t need a lot of hand-holding and are comfortable working autonomously.
- That said, we also need someone who is interested in building genuine connection and rapport with team members, contractors and customers.
- Creative, think outside the box, unique problem-solving ability.
- Inherently compassionate, empathetic and truly want to help others.
- Can handle tight deadlines, last-minute requests and quick changes.
- Takes ownership and pride in their work, whether you’re doing high-level projects or more tedious administrative tasks (there will be a mix of both!).
- Tech-savvy and a quick learn for new software and skills. You dive headfirst into any opportunity to learn new systems and ways of doing things.
- Have thick skin that can handle direct, honest feedback, be coachable with no ego, and course-correct when needed.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously—gets things done, meets deadlines and keeps promises.
- Outstanding communication skills and an ability to create strong relationships with vendors, contractors, customers, key people from other organizations.
- Love analytics, numbers and metric measurement and analysis—we’re looking for a spreadsheet nerd who loves to geek out with data.
- Not locked into working 9-5, but embraces an “until it gets done” attitude.
The Editorial Assistant position will have a strong pulse on the business, staying in the know on top priorities, while focusing on the specific action items that keep the business moving forward on a daily basis. If you feel you are a strong fit for this position, see the details below!
If you’d like to be considered for this role, please email [email protected] by December 20, 2020, with the subject line EDITORIAL ASSISTANT JOB. Your application will need to include the following information:
- Fill out this form.
- Take this Enneagram assessment and include your Type in the body of your email. Do you agree or disagree with the assessment?
If you’ve got talent burning a hole in your pocket, wishing your job really made use of your skills, you might be just the person we are looking for.
Our Team Values
- Dedication: Hungry for achievement and success.
- Serve: Our desire to help others trumps all else.
- Proactive: Make something happen.
- Supportive: We always address questions, problems, or compliments head on, with the goal of anticipating others’ needs and desires before they express them.
- Impact: We want to make the biggest difference in as many people’s lives as we possibly can.
- Idealist: Fanatical attention to detail and consistency.
- Whatever It Takes: Resourcefulness to GET. THE. JOB. DONE.
- Innovation: There’s more than one way to cook an egg.
- Confidence: Why not us?
- Fun: When you love what you do, it never feels like “work”.
- Competitive compensation with room to grow.
- Complete autonomy—we don’t care when, where or how you work, so long as you get the job done.
- Forget the traditional corporate culture. No micro-managing, no “working” just to look busy, no clocking in and out, no asking for time off to go to a doctor’s appointment or pick your kid up from school or have a personal life. No need to apologize or ask permission. I don’t even need to know the details! I’m not paying for seat warmers. There is no such thing as being late to work (although there is such a thing as missing deadlines). You choose how you get your work done. Your time is yours, so long as the work gets done and the clients are happy.
- While taking care of business, we like to take care of our community and the environment too! Currently looking for a great charity/cause to donate a percentage of TNK’s annual revenue toward.
We are so excited to hear from you!
CarrieJanuary 24, 2020
Hi Lisa! What exciting news for you and your company! I just wanted to send a note of encouragement as you navigate this hiring process. Sending best wishes that you find a great match.
LisaJanuary 29, 2020
Thank you so much! I’m hoping I find a great match too – THANK YOU!