ILIA Beauty is a brand we get questions about all. the. time. “Is ILIA Beauty clean?” “What are the best ILIA Beauty products?” “What do you recommend from ILIA Beauty?” Well, let me tell you—I’ve tried nearly all of the line and there are certainly a few stand-out-must-haves. We’ve got the ILIA Beauty review you need, including our favorites and a list of pros and cons to help you decide if ILIA deserves a spot in your makeup bag.
By: Lisa Fennessy
IN THIS POST:
- Some standouts: ILIA Beauty pros
- Some things to consider
- Interpreting the pros + cons
- My ILIA Beauty favorites
- ILIA Beauty FAQs
How did a brand that started with lip balm evolve into a ubiquitous clean beauty line that you can find at the likes of both Credo Beauty and Sephora? With a belief in “skin that looks like skin,” and products designed with all skin types in mind—that’s how.
Since 2011, ILIA Beauty has been pushing clean beauty’s boundaries with high-performing makeup that they say is better for your skin. The line, founded by Sasha Plavsic, focuses on multi-use, easy-to-apply products housed in beautiful, simple packaging that rivals the design aesthetic of more conventional, high-end brands (that’s what you get from a founder who began her career in beauty and fashion branding).
But does the line live up to the hype? We break down the pros and cons below.
RELATED: Jones Road Beauty Review and Is MERIT Beauty clean? My honest review.
Some standouts: ILIA Beauty pros
The #1 standout when it comes to ILIA Beauty is undeniable performance. There is literally no compromise when it comes to their mascara that delivers length, volume and definition and their foundation which is unparalleled in wearability, blurring imperfections and turning up #thatglow.
ILIA is for the consumer who wants no IFS ANDS OR BUTS when it comes to performance factor. Which is the #1 reason why we are reviewing them here on the blog.
Some additional pros include…
- ILIA is now using TerraCycle’s Zero Waste Box platform that’s dedicated to recycling the “hard-to-recycle.”
- Although this line is not 100% vegan, it is certified cruelty-free via Leaping Bunny.
- All ILIA products are gluten-free except True Skin Radiant Priming Serum, which contains a wheat derivative.
- ILIA is one of very few brands we’ve seen to highlight a variety of ages in their marketing (have you seen this super cute IG vid?). Love that inclusivity.
- Speaking of inclusivity, they continue to expand their shade ranges. Currently, they are offering their True Skin Serum Foundation in 18 shades and we remember back in the day when they launched with just 5.
- You can grab ILIA on the fly at your local Sephora.
Some things to consider
- ILIA formulates with some ingredients that not everyone would classify as “clean” or “green.” In fact, one of our FAQs at The New Knew is, “Is ILIA considered a clean beauty brand?”
- Ultimately the answer to that query will be up to you (which we will get to in a min), but we can see this divide play out in clean beauty stores across the U.S. with some choosing to stock and sell ILIA and some not.
So what’s in question?
- Specifically, we’re talking about the addition of FD&C or D&C synthetic colorants in products like their Multi-Stick and Color Block Lipsticks. These colors, originally derived from coal tar and now petroleum (1), have been linked to cancer (1), neurotoxicity (2), genotoxicity (2) and concerns with long-term safety (3). Most dyes, including Yellow 5, have been banned in Europe (4).
- Another controversial ingredient we see is phenoxyethanol used in their Clean Line Liquid Liner. Cosmetic grade phenoxyethanol regularly has too high of a concentration of unreacted phenol (carbolic acid) for use in baby products, because babies are sensitive to its neurotoxicity (5) in much smaller amounts than adults. The EU requires that all phenoxyethanol is a pharmaceutical-grade with less than 10ppm phenol under EC 1223/2009 and 1% phenoxyethanol per product but the U.S. does not require this.
- Also, as of now, ILIA does not test for heavy metals.
Interpreting the pros + cons
So what does this all mean? Well, there are a few things to consider.
One of the major reasons why ILIA formulates with FD&C colorants is because it is still practically impossible to get a hot red lipstick like we see with their Color Block Lipstick in Flame using natural materials only.
These synthetic dyes are the only way a larger, more vibrant color range can be achieved. And ILIA is not alone in this approach. We also see FD&C dyes are used in some of the RMS Lipsticks, Kosas Weightless Lipsticks and Clove + Hallow Lip products as well.
So if you personally value the va va voom of a true hot red lipstick, these are going to be the best option for you. They are made with better base ingredients and a small percentage of FD&C colorants.
Also. Percentages and frequency matter. It’s not that snack-size bag of Skittles you stole out of your kid’s Halloween bag that’s going to make a lasting impact on your health, it’s the candy you eat every day.
All in all, it’s really all about understanding the decision you are making and maintaining perspective.
And if you are still sitting there like WWTNKD? Girl. I’m okay with wearing a lipstick that has FD&C colorants in it once and a while. At the end of the day, these are still better options (if not the best options) for hot red and hot pink lipsticks on the market today.
But truth be told, the products in question aren’t even my faves from the line. ILIA has some big-time standouts that reign supreme in performance…and they also happen to be free from both FD&C dyes and phenoxyethanol as well. Read on for my top 4 picks.
My ILIA Beauty favorites
FAVE #1: True Skin Serum Foundation | $54
If you are still looking for a great foundation that breathes life and glow into your skin, girl, THIS IS IT! This weight-less, light-coverage, liquid foundation delivers a natural look that truly mimics how your skin looks and feels. I mean, it’s literally undetectable to the naked eye when applied which is by far my favorite part. Both Nicolle and I have it on, above and below. I’m talking FLAW-LESS.
True Skin Serum Foundation (aptly named btw) also has some ingredients with skin benefits like aloe to help soothe irritated skin and plant-based squalane to help balance and improve elasticity.
This foundation comes in several shades so if you need help color matching, email [email protected] for pro help.
ILIA True Skin Serum Foundation Pros:
- A formula that breathes life into your skin via a dewy finish.
- Lightweight coverage that’s buildable to medium coverage.
- A true “your skin but better” finish.
- Does not dry out skin or dry cakey.
- Fragrance free (just smells like makeup, no added scents).
- Goes on even and blends easily with fingers or a brush.
- Packaged in glass.
- Comes in 18 shades.
ILIA True Skin Serum Foundation Cons:
- The pump I have leaked (but this is the old packaging to be fair).
- Formulated with silicones, which are non-biodegradable.
RELATED: Over 40? Best Organic Foundation & B.B. Creams. Read my full review on their skin tint here.
True Skin Serum Foundation | $54
A weightless, light-coverage, liquid foundation that delivers a natural finish and truly mimics how your skin looks and feels.
FAVE #2: True Skin Serum Concealer | $30
This concealer is one of my top picks from ILIA. It delivers medium-weight coverage with a finish that totally vibes with the ILIA “skin that looks like skin” mantra. It strikes a legit balance between liquid and cream when you apply it, and even when I use it for under-eye circle coverage, it doesn’t crease.
I wouldn’t use it to spot-cover a major breakout (a cream works way better than that), BUT it’s 👌🏼 for evening out light redness or splotchiness.
I’m not the only one who loves it: our Content Manager Nicolle says, “I often skip a tinted moisturizer or full-face foundation in favor of the True Skin Serum Concealer blended under my eyes, around my nose, and on my chin. Add blush or bronzer and I don’t feel like I need anything else.”
ILIA True Serum Skin Concealer Pros:
- Strikes a balance between liquid and cream.
- Doesn’t crease or cling to dry spots.
- Blends easily.
- Can be used as a one-product way to skip foundation for evening skin tone.
- Easily covers light redness or splotchiness.
- Lets distinctive features like cute freckles shine through.
- 20 shades to choose from.
ILIA True Serum Skin Concealer Cons:
- Not ideal for covering up a big breakout or major blemish—it’s too liquid-y.
- It’s packaged in plastic.
A medium-weight coverage concealer that balances the texture between liquid and cream, blending perfectly into the skin.
FAVE #3: Liquid Powder Chromatic / Matte Eye Tints | $28
ILIA is NOT the first better beauty brand to launch a liquid eye shadow that turns to a powder finish, but sometimes being the first to market isn’t the biggest priority (you can peek at what works and what doesn’t for others). What I love about these tints are the lack of creasing I get while wearing them, even all day.
Other brands have a HIGH glitter factor in their colors, and ILIA’s Chromatic shades are more shimmery, while the matte ones are shimmer-free, which makes them user-friendly. Also, they’re an improvement from the line’s last fast-applying shadow, the cream eye shadow stick—that formula often came out in chunks, and left huge glitter pieces on the skin, even after a double-oil cleanse.
ILIA Liquid Powder Eye Tints Pros:.
- Easy to apply.
- Opaque and full-color payoff.
- Doubles as an eyeshadow base or primer.
- Comes in a beautiful, generous color range that look good on most skin types.
- Delivers a smooth, flattering finish that looks natural and effortless.
- Can blend with a brush or fingers (we like this brush).
- Doubles as a face/brow highlighter (the Chromatic shades).
- Not glittery (the Chromatic shades).
- Comes in multiple finishes.
ILIA Liquid Powder Eye Tints Cons:
- The lighter colors (like Glaze) can dry down uneven.
- Both me and Nicolle (and a couple readers) have had the foam tip of the applicator break during normal usage. BUT, ILIA has great customer service and offered to replace our broken colors with fresh product.
A versatile, highly-pigmented liquid eyeshadow that transforms into a weightless, metallic powder without creasing.
FAVE #4: Fullest Volume Mascara | $28
No big deal, just my current fave mascara right here! ILIA departed from their patented Limitless Lash Mascara (LLM) wand to transition to what they are calling a violin-shaped wand….or an hourglass-shaped wand. This synthetic-bristled wand has longer, thicker bristles than the LLM wand and is able to deliver a ton of product with each swipe.
This mascara pulls lashes together as part of its volumizing strategy. This means it’s going to give you a chunkier lash look as opposed to a feathery, natural, separated look. If you like lash separation and a natural look, this one is not for you.
If you love that chunky lash look (like my friend who wears 10 layers of mascara #truestory) then boo, we just hooked you up.
ILIA Fullest Volumizing Mascara Pros:
- Delivers major volume.
- Better ingredients.
- No harsh scent (fragrance free).
- Delivers product quickly.
- Dries fast.
- Didn’t sting my eyes.
- Doesn’t smudge (on me).
- Doesn’t flake (on me).
- Cruelty free.
ILIA Fullest Volumizing Mascara Cons:
- Can wear clumpy.
- Does not deliver separation.
- Delivers *some* length but not a ton.
- Bigger brush that can be hard to manipulate.
- Be prepared to do some cleanup after application.
- Pricey compared to drugstore mascara.
- Not waterproof.
Want more mascara talk? Check out my top mascara picks here!
RELATED: Check out my full review of ILIA’s new fullest volume mascara—perfect for volume and length.
Fullest Volumizing Mascara | $28
The perfect natural mascara for length, volume and definition—doesn’t clump, flake or smear.
FAVE #5: ILIA Multi-Stick Palette | $42
ILIA Beauty says their Multi-Stick Face is “limited edition” and will be available “while supplies last,” which I personally think is a big mistake, HUGE. This is honestly one of the best products ILIA has ever put out. You get SIX multi-stick colors including a highlighter and a bronzer all in a small travel-sized recyclable palette. I mean, what more does ya girl need?! NADA!
PRO TIP: I personally love mixing a bunch of colors together to get a custom look.
ILIA Multi-Stick Palette Pros:
- Can try several colors at the same time.
- Includes best selling colors, plus three new shades too.
- Can potentially use a color all up.
- Perfect for a monochromatic look or…
- Create a mix and match look.
- Includes a highlighter and a bronzer.
- Perfect for travel.
- Can wear on cheeks and lips.
- Creamy finish for a healthy-looking glow.
- Housed in recycled plastic.
ILIA Multi-Stick Palette Cons:
- Limited edition (this should be a permanent edition IMO!).
- Would love to see multiple color palette options.
- Not vegan (includes beeswax), if that is important to you.
ILIA Multi-Stick Palette | $42
This is honestly one of the best products ILIA has ever put out. You get SIX multi-stick colors including a highlighter and a bronzer all in a small travel-sized recyclable palette.
ILIA Beauty FAQs
Clean makeup brand Ilia Beauty is owned by the Courtin-Clarins family holding company, Famille C, which also owns the Clarins brand. Learn more about ILIA here.
Most ILIA products are made in the U.S. with the exceptions listed below:
Made in Canada: Balmy Gloss Tinted Lip Oil
Made in China: All Brushes
Made in Italy: Blue Light Face Mist, Color Haze, Liquid Light Highlighting Serum, Liquid Powder Chromatic Eye Tint, and Limitless Lash Mascara
Made in Korea: Clean Line Gel Liner, Clean Line Liquid Liner
Learn more about ILIA here.
ILIA Beauty products have undeniable performance. They can also be recycled using TerraCycle’s Zero Waste Box, are cruelty-free and nearly all are gluten-free. ILIA also is age inclusive in their advertising. Learn more about ILIA here.
What are your ILIA faves?
TNK Team Note: This article contains affiliate links. TNK uses affiliate links as a source for revenue to fund operations of the business and to be less dependent on branded content. TNK stands behind all product recommendations. Still have questions about these links or our process? Feel free to email us.
1. Kobylewski, Sarah; Jacobson, Michael F; Toxicology of food dyes; International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health July 2012.
2. Taylor, S.L.; Baumert, J.L.; Encyclopedia of Agriculture and Food Systems, 2014.
3. Nomination background D &C red no. 27 [CASRN 13473-26-2], D&C Red No. 28 [CASRN 18472-87-2]; National Institutes of Health, October 2000.
4. Food dyes; Center of Science in the Public Interest, 2008.
5. D’Souza, Ryan S.; Warner, Nafisseh S.; Phenol Nerve Block, updated September 2020.
MadiFebruary 9, 2021
Great post! I LOVE their mascara too – definitely the best clean mascara I’ve used! I really like their liquid eye liner as well, I have really watery eyes & I find that it doesn’t move around.
xo Madi | http://www.everydaywithmadirae.com
GinaMay 28, 2021
Hi Lisa can I have your views on the silicones Ilia uses in the foundation , Dimethicone and Capryl Methicone. I always thought silicone in beauty products should be avoided. Thank you
Kayla KassaOctober 31, 2021
Ilia has been my fave for years, but I can’t do dimethicone, coconut, wheat, FD&C just isn’t clean too me… so what is a brand similar to ilia that is this clean? Thanks!
Lisa FennessyNovember 5, 2021
Hi Kayla! Have you checked out Vapour? I also love their foundation and it is dimethicone free….xo, Lisa
Kayla KassaNovember 5, 2021
I have and I wanted to love them but all their makeup just isn’t on my face by the end of the day.
Lisa FennessyNovember 12, 2021
Hi Kyla! Bummer…so sorry it hasn’t worked for you. Have you found something that you like? xo, Lisa
Kayla KassaNovember 12, 2021
I have been trying Gressa, W3ll people, different ilia and vapour options but not really loving anything as much as my full ilia face. I might need to just accept that although they aren’t the cleanest they make me feel and look good and are cleaner than some. Almost wish i could start my own line or something.
Lisa FennessyNovember 21, 2021
Hi Kayla! Honestly, I love everything I try from ILIA and I think it’s a fantastic option. In reality it’s not the .1% of an ingredient in your lipstick that will make a big health impact, it’s the bigger things we do like the water we drink and the food we eat. Just wanted to add this because you should feel great about using this option. It’s high performance, you love it and it’s made intentionally with better ingredients. xo, Lisa
Kayla KassaNovember 21, 2021
Thanks so much Lisa! You are so right. I am trying to find a better balance with things instead of being so black and white with it. I think I will be sticking with Ilia. It’s just TOO good. I love it so much nothing compares. I appreciate all of your help and this blog! You are freaking amazing! Happy holidays.
Lisa FennessyNovember 28, 2021
Thank you Kayla! You too friend! xo, Lisa
Stephanie ThulAugust 20, 2022
Do your products contain Polysorbate 8? I cannot have this ingredient in any of my cosmetics.
Lisa FennessyAugust 29, 2022
Hi! At TNK we do not make our own products. If you have a specific question about ILIA, you can direct it to them, thanks! Lisa
Nipa | FashionipaAugust 30, 2022
I use the True Serum Foundation and True Serum Concealer and love both. I’ll have to try some of the other products you mentioned. Always appreciate your in-depth reviews!
Lisa FennessyAugust 31, 2022
Definitely the Multi-Stick Palette!!!!
KiranSeptember 6, 2022
What’s your favorite makeup brand or the top makeup brand you could suggest for most of the makeup items/products? If you have a detailed format of your fav or top makeups just like you do for ilia, would be such a help!
Lisa FennessyNovember 11, 2022
Okay thank you! If I could only pick one line, it would be ILIA if that helps! xo, Lisa
Marion ColletteJanuary 11, 2023
I received my order today but can’t for the life of me find a way into the powder I received. Help!
Lisa FennessyJanuary 12, 2023
Hi Marion! Have you tried contacting their customer service or DMing them? xo, L
AneciaJanuary 23, 2023
Omg thank you for this amazing in-depth, no bullshit review!
Lisa FennessyFebruary 24, 2023
LOL, you are welcome!!!
CindiMarch 2, 2023
So is all of their foundations free of parabens and phthalates? I am a cancer thriver and can’t use anything that causes estrogen issues. On my SkinSafe app it shows their foundation has harmful hormone altering ingredients but on their website it states they don’t. I am very confused.
Lisa FennessyApril 17, 2023
Hi Cindi! They do not use parabens or phthalates. Sometimes the apps are not able to interpret data the way they are intended to. I think the biggest conversation to be had here is the color convo which I dive into a bit above. Hope this helps. xo, Lisa