My 4 year old son’s lunchbox has to be nut-free and requires a lunch plus two snacks a day. I’ve spent the last year and a half playing with nut-free, non-processed snacks. This is one the whole family loves. My little one calls them “cooookie” – fine by me!
These call for coconut butter which by the way if you have never tried, you are missing out! The only ingredient should be raw coconut and it tastes like a coconuty sugary paste…I’ve definitely embarrassed myself eating it straight out of the jar. You can find it at Whole Foods but you can also omit if you prefer.
- 10-12 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 Tbsp sunflower seed butter
- 2-3 Tbsp coconut butter
- 1 Tbsp hemp seed
- 2-4 Tbsp filtered water
- In a food processor add all ingredients except for water.
- Process with an S blade for a few minutes until well combined.
- Add a tablespoon of water at a time until consistency is sticky enough to form a ball.
- Roll into balls and keep in the fridge.
Will make 20-30 bites and don’t worry about how long they will last because…they don’t even stand a chance!
Illustration by Cole, 4. “Family Portrait” in crayon. I have to say, everyone’s hair color is on point (including the butterfly’s) but listen, if you ever draw my stomach that big again, we are going to have to talk.