I’ve been resisting CBD skincare for what feels like forever. It felt so elusive. I didn’t want to believe the CBD hype. I didn’t know enough about CBD to make an informed decision. And CBD skincare felt very…Denver-y to me, whereas I’m more Atlanta-ish, you know what I’m sayin’? But then I tried a brand called Prima and things changed.
This post is sponsored by Prima, an ethical, EWG Verified, Certified B Corp, Certified Climate Neutral CBD line. As always, The New Knew only works with brands who we trust are making the world a better place.
By: Lisa Fennessy
IN THIS POST:
They say first impressions are everything and I can see why. That rang true for my first grade teacher Mrs. Olsen who looked like she competed in screaming matches as a professional side hustle, which I still think is true because she practiced on us all day long. It was true for War and Peace…a novel so thick, I had to ask a store employee to help me get it to my car…never finished it because it was too long and boring (did anyone even like that book?). And it was and still is true for Tuna à la King 🤢. Thank you.
But first impressions aren’t reserved for just the bad stuff. They can help identify the good stuff too. Like deciding to watch Outlander based on Sam Heughan’s IMDb, impulse flying to Iceland after seeing one pic of The Blue Lagoon and also when I tried Prima’s skincare line. Second numero uno = HOOKED.
RELATED: Why you shouldn’t use CBD oil.
Why I love Prima’s products
Prima is a science-backed whole body wellness brand that makes potent plant therapeutic skincare, body care, and supplements with organic hemp CBD and functional botanicals to help combat stress and target issues at their source.
They have several products that are lotions or creams and the consistency of these products is OUT OF CONTROL. Just think of your ideal cream and then picture that 10 times better and that’s what Prima is. The consistency, the hydration, the decadence…10, 10, 10 (and that’s why their body cream made it into my top 10 beauty picks from 2021).
But that’s not the only thing that makes Prima special. Prima calls on the power of pure organic hemp seed extract (CBD), which you will see included in every product of the Prima collection. This common thread is beneficial for helping repair the skin barrier, supporting the decrease of inflammation, brightening and reducing redness and improving skin resilience (1–6).
Now, I’m saying “hemp extract” and I want to clear that up. CBD is just one component of hemp extract. Prima says, “Cannabinoids are natural compounds and molecules of hemp oil that are extracted from the hemp plant. Cannabidiol (CBD), is just one of many cannabinoids and accounts for up to 40% of the plant’s extract. Prima extracts and purifies our hemp using CO2 supercritical fractionation to remove waxes, chlorophyll, pollutants and THC. We are not isolating any one specific cannabinoid, but rather, using a broad spectrum of cannabinoids in combination with polyphenols, terpenes, sterols and flavonoids to work synergistically, as nature intended.”
Seeing and understanding this completely elevated my idea of what skincare can do for us systematically. Don’t you agree? Traditionally we think of body cream as a remedy for dry skin. But it can be so much more. Here we see a body cream that can hydrate PLUS support the endocannabinoid system (1–6).
Want to know where to start? Here’s the tea on my top picks from the entire Prima line (yes, I’ve tried it all)!
Top product picks from Prima
Okay, you will see a theme here. Basically all of my top picks are anything cream-based, lol, I’m truly OBSESSED. It’s that good. I also really love their Bath Gem which one 5-star-reviewer called, “Total bliss. Almost better than sex.” Okay, let’s get into it.
Skin Therapy | $32
Skin Therapy also made our list of best body lotions, and for good reason. For people who just need more moisture, I was stuck recommending body balms, which I don’t love because conceptually they are all oils and don’t contain any water. This also means they can leave skin feeling greasy, especially if you use too much. BUT after I fell head over heels for Prima’s Afterglow, I saw they also had a body cream and I knew I had to try it.
Now, imagine your most favorite face cream becomes available as a body cream? THAT IS YOUR LIFE WITH SKIN THERAPY.
If you are the type of person who is always saying, “I need more from my body cream,” this one is for you.
- Leaves skin feeling hydrated
- Leaves skin feeling moisturized
- Has a powdery / floral scent
- Soaks in fast, despite being v moisturizing
- Contains hemp extract to help with all the things
- Packaged in glass
- Third party vetted for safety
- May be too heavy for some people
A CBD moisturizing body cream especially for dry, dehydrated skin.
R+R Cream | $38
Literally gifted this to everyone I know. My dad who has arthritis in his neck, my mom who has arthritis in her hands, my sister for her painful PMS and me for my chronic neck pain (so what if I only know 4 people, lol). Anyway! This genie in a bottle will grant you three wishes every single time and they are called: moisturizing, soothing and cooling.
- Moisturizing delivered from marula oil and shea butter, which are super hydrating without being greasy.
- Soothing from hemp seed extract (1-8).
- And a cooling sensation from menthol and eucalyptus.
Use this on your hands, feet, neck…anywhere that needs some TLC. I personally keep this in my bedside table so it’s never too far away. Like motivational speaker Jacy Cunningham said, “This cream is basically like getting a massage without getting a massage!”
- Smells good
- Not greasy
- Perfect consistency / texture
- High concentration of hemp seed extract
- Easy to grab and go
- Some people say it’s the best cream they’ve used for aches and pains
- Third party vetted for safety
A moisturizing, soothing and cooling CBD relief and recovery cream.
Bath Gem | $15-$18
I’m not a huge bath person, BUT Prima’s Bath Gem has me taking baths like it’s my j.o.b…I mean technically speaking it kinda is, but I digress.
These days my PMS is getting more erratic, I’m out at 11-hour baseball tournaments, I’m sore from tennis, my wrists hurt from the computer….I mean the list goes on and on. Love these bath gems for a few very key reasons. First, they are soothing to the body. Second, they are soothing to the skin. I can’t tell you how much better I feel after taking a bath with one of these. NOTABLE.
Also love that they are formulated with oils in them, which moisturizes the body so when you get out you just dry and go. No need to add lotion.
Lastly, they have two Bath Gems: Unwind (relaxation focused with 25g CBD, epsom salt and magnesium) and their latest, Recover (recovery focused with 50g CBD, magnesium and arnica). Both are fantastic.
PRO TIP: Grab a four pack and save!
- Bubbles up like a real bath bomb
- Super relaxing
- Contains hemp extract
- Doubles as a moisturizer
- Smells beautiful
- Leaves skin feeling smooth
- Boost of minerals
- Third party verified for safety
- One time use
- Oil on feet can leave feet slippery
- Too relaxed to do anything else, lol
Effervescent mineral bath soaks. The Unwind Bath Gem focuses on total body relaxation and soft skin while the Recover Bath Gem focuses on recovery, relaxation & tension relief.
The Afterglow | $68
Last but not least, The Afterglow. This is one of my all time favorite face creams, but it’s currently out of stock after Michelle Pfeiffer blew it up on her social channels. Love this for Prima. Hate this for us, lol. It should be back in stock within the next few weeks though, so I’ll be sure to let you know.👊
A rich, creamy, lightweight and hydrating face moisturizer.
How to save on Prima skincare
Want to save??? As always, code NEWKNEW will save you 20% site wide at Prima.
What have you tried and loved from Prima?
TNK Team Note: This article contains affiliate links. TNK uses affiliate links as a source for revenue to fund operations of the business and to be less dependent on branded content. TNK stands behind all product recommendations. Still have questions about these links or our process? Feel free to email us.
1. Baswan S.M., Klosner A.E., Glynn K., Rajgopal A., Malik K., Yim S., Stern N. Therapeutic Potential of Cannabidiol (CBD) for Skin Health and Disorders. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2020;13: 927-942, doi.org/10.2147/CCID.S286411.
2. Mounessa J.S., Siegel J.A., Dunnick C.A., Dellavalle R.P. The role of cannabinoids in dermatology. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;77(1):188–190.
3. Oláh, Attila, et al. “Cannabidiol Exerts Sebostatic and Antiinflammatory Effects on Human Sebocytes.” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 124, no. 9, 2014, pp. 3713–3724, doi:10.1172 /jci64628.
4. Bíró, Tamás, et al. “The Endocannabinoid System of the Skin in Health and Disease: Novel Perspectives and Therapeutic Opportunities.” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 30, no. 8, 2009, pp. 411–420.
5. Kupczyk, Piotr, et al. “Cannabinoid System in the Skin – a Possible Target for Future Therapies in Dermatology.” Experimental Dermatology, vol. 18, no. 8, 2009, pp. 669–679., doi:10.1111/j. 1600-0625.2009.00923.x.
6. Río, Carmen Del, et al. “The Endocannabinoid System of the Skin. A Potential Approach for the Treatment of Skin Disorders.” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 157, 2018, pp. 122–133., doi: 10.1016/j.bcp.2018.08.022.
KiranSeptember 25, 2022
I would like to hear your say on Rose, Inc skincare and makeup products? Thank you